Daniel Kihn

Daniel Kihn

Friday, October 4, 2013

How Does a Snap-On Gutter Work?


Figure A.

Does this picture confuse you? That's okay, it's just a diagram that over complicates a simple home improvement task. The other day as I walked the beat in the lumber department, I receive a page overhead saying a customer is in need of assistance with the gutters, which are part of my department. Dread swept over me like the Winter's chill. What could they need? I have no clue about any of that stuff! No training was given to me nor do I have practical experience with gutters. Despite me fear, I pressed on and found the lost soul in question. I braced myself for the worst as I greeted him and asked what he needed.

Customer: How do these snap-on gutters work?

Me:...They snap on, sir

Customer: Can you show me?

At this point my brain has imploded from the stupidity and I ask him to repeat himself.

Customer: Can you show me how these work?

Naturally, I say okay and walk over the a gutter and easily snap it on. There is a pause and the customer leans forward to examine my magic. Even a millisecond of contemplation is too long for something so simple. He eyes me and says thank you. An hour passes and when I go to Customer Service to gather the returns that are for my department, a single and lonely snap-on gutter sat in the cart. I suppose the customer didn't write down what I did or it was just beyond his comprehension. Somewhere, right now, a man is standing in his yard and crying as leaves clog up his gutters. He'll collapse to his knees in his grass and curse the Heavens and plead for a reprieve and an answer on how to sto this horrible plague upon his house.

6 comments:

  1. I can't say much because I'd probably be like that guy, sobbing in the yard and cursing the cold and uncaring universe for my woes... I'm not a very hands on person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA, too funny! You are in the business of working with people. It is not exactly the most fun, you get some unoriginal characters.

    I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had people look into my office door as I howled. I always suspected the Lowes men weren't trained, but I can't count the number of times I've asked similar questions with similar results.

    Dr C

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Mike...I would have been just like that man. Not quite understanding what to do and what you are talking...so I end up with clogged gutters

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too funny! I'm excited to read more of your entertaining experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been in this situation way to many times haha, I feel your pain! I always have great stories from work though, and I'm glad to see someone else sharing theirs. Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete